Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Irony?

Today it snowed. In fact, it was not only snowing, it was still snowing. As in, since the night before. I struggled to lift my short legs above the deep snow of the non shoveled sidewalk while I carried my heavy bags full of painting supplies, because the people who own the Church are oh so considerate, when I came to the street unexpectedly. Looking down at your footing can do that to you. Crossing this particular street is never fun, because the lights aren't timed well. There's never a time when there aren't cars hurtling at you.

I know the law says that people in NH are supposed to yield to pedestrians, but people in NH have never looked kindly upon "The Man" and his rules. for that reason, I look both ways. After a tiny silver hundai passes me, the road is clear, so I step out gingerly, not wanting to slip out into "traffic" and become a road waffle. As I near the middle of the street, I hear the familiar rev of an engine gunning for it.

Looking up expecting to see some jackass teenager in an SUV who cut fourth period, I spy a most curious sight. A Hearse is flying at me at about 40 miles per hour, on a City Street, in the middle of a snowstorm. A snowstorm people. So I do the sensible thing and stand in the middle of the street wondering if this is an Omen? a Sign?

As I ran from the street and got mercilessly splashed by a wave of nasty dirt flavored slush, I wondered one final thought before I started to freeze in sincerity; If a Hearse hits someone and kills them, is it bad or good for business?

No comments:

Post a Comment