Friday, December 3, 2010

Old pictures and Welcome to My Garden.



The split rock plant lovingly referred to as Nevelson is dead. Officially. It's last little leaf if a pile of brown dried crust.

To lift my spirits I have thought on it and decided to put up an introduction to my plants, as I have many.

I grow a lot of succulent plants, but to stop myself from over watering those and turning them to mush I also harbor some easy to grow regular plants. The large clover/flower looking plant is an oxalis, a member of the clover family. It grows from bulbs, and takes a dormant period fro mtime to time to grow healthy well sustained plants.



There is also Ben and Gwen the spider plants, siblings from the mother plant, and 3 African Violets (they all live in the other window). One of them is flowering snow white flowers like it's its job, the other two named Yolanda and Shiquiqui respectively are not flowering at all. They had beautiful flowers in the beginning but now only pump out leaves with reckless abandon. My guess is A) not enough sun, B) needing fertilizer, C) too many suckers or D) they object strongly to their names. They have not popped out a single damn bud though.

for succulents I have 3 Jades, one started by my grandfather, one started by me with assistance from my grandparents, and one my mom started fro ma leaf that jumped ship off her boss's plant. I also have a Jade started in my seedling pots that I did all on my own!

I own about nine or so Lithops that are new to the family but doing well, each a different breed, if I had to pick a favorite it would be Lithops Dorothae: green with red spots, very unique. More on that later.

I own three aloes split from a mother plant, soon to be gifts, and four different species of hens and chicks. I also own a Kalanchoe plant-the ones everyone sees in the grocery store with the insane bright flowers. I also own a really pathetic tiny sunset plant which is one that I was very hopeful about when I first bought it but as the weeks go by its health seems to be waning. The leaves are all squishy and dull; there is new growth so I've been trying to give it water (just enough) and light and time and space. All a plant needs.




AS far as my nursery goes, I have a cutting growing that I picked up off the Wal-Mart floor and put in my pocket-forgot about-then found and set on some dirt-and IT GREW. My guess is it is some variety of Echeveria. I also have a baby jade or two, and a seedling that hitchhiked in on one of my Hens and Chicks that remains a mystery.

No comments:

Post a Comment