Sunday, November 21, 2010

death of a houseplant

First things first.
Phrase of the week:

"You've got to paint in [her] muffin top. Otherwise you'll never figure out where the hips actually go."

magical creatures have muffin tops too.

I have murdered my first plant this week. It could have been caused by a mistake I made as much as a month ago, and I'm not sure if I'll ever really know what caused it.

My split rock plant, although somewhat softer in the last few weeks, showed no signs of rotting away into a pile of oozing gelatinous goo thinly contained in the husk of its former glory. I came to consciousness this morning to observe that there was a garbage like odor floating around my room- and when I looked to water my plants, I found that my darling little split rock was literally a pile of goo. Overnight. Probably not overnight-but what felt like overnight.

I imagine it was over watering that started the process, and I spent a good few minutes examining it to see if it could be saved but alas- no dice.

I have hacked away all the soupy bits and it has one tiny leaf left that will most likely die. The new leaves grow using the moisture of the now non existent parent leaves. Where will the baby leaf get its moisture from now that basically the whole plant is gone? I'm not really sure.

The split rock plant has turned from a lovingly cultivated prodigy to a grand experiment in paring away large sections of gangrenous tissue and seeing if the resulting plant can pull its shit back together and continue growing.

All the other plants are doing great. The aloes have turned green again although I was worried because they were quite brown for a while-just means they were over watered a bit. The oxalis are all dying off for a while, the bulbs will sprout new giant clovers after a few weeks-months of being dormant.

I found more Taylor Mali poems online and fell in love again. It's like when people read to you and you become entranced- can't help but love the tones and personality.

Reminds me of my teacher Sebastian Lockwood. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCQHuUM6FxM&feature=related

No comments:

Post a Comment