Saturday, August 8, 2015

found an old list of Goals on my laptop - hilareous

I made this list when I was 21, forgot about it, lived my life- here are the results. Commentary provided by my currently 26 year old self. Lesson: life looks different after college. Very different. 


selfish life goals: (The title itself is pretty telling. why am I selfish for having life goals besides " take care of parents, make sure brother isn't in jail. ")

2 years: by age 23

drive. WIN 26
learn to drive a standard. FAIL. We also sold our only standard in a really sketchy turn of events, and I'll have to rely on the charity of friends if I ever want to learn this. You know to be a race car driver. 26
save $3,000. EH I'm sure at one time or another I've accomplished this, but it hasn't been steady because EH life. 26
get a car (a standard, preferably used, preferably in decent shape.) IT'S an automatic 2000 Honda Civic and it's my Dad's, BUT I GUESS WIN because I put gas in it 26
go to graduate school. FAIL 26
get certified to teach. FAIL 26 (not really sure I want to do this anymore anyway.)
get an apartment. (with danielle?) WIN 26 plus its with a man and there's CATS in it.
grow orchids and expand my plant collection. SORTA WIN 26 I have two small orchids- they don't have flowers because my cats ate them, but they are far from dead. 
build a/ several terrarium(s). FAIL 26 Although a guest did mistake my ratchet dried up fish tank as a terrarium, when in reality the fish died last year and I just let it be a fancy humidifier for the living room till it was dry. so YES FAIL.

5 years: by age 26 THis oughta be good.

gyotaku. NOT YET 26 I'm going to buy a smelly scaly fish and do this. Remember, freeze the fish so its not stinky.
go to NCECA ( means at least 500$ investment) WIN WIN 26 I did this!! I got to stay with the beautiful talented Lauren Scales and meet her wonderful godsend of a family, meet up with some awesome college friends and get re-inspired to be creative! Went to lectures, saw galleries, bought mugs (one's already broken). 
take more ceramics classes, work more on the wheel. SORTA 26 I took one post college, the quality was meh. 
become a teacher, and be good at it. FAIL 26 ...just nope.
get a fridge big enough to support owning the following:
any pitcher plants I fancy. NOPE HAVE CATS INSTEAD 26
Venus flytraps. CATS 26
build an indoor greenhouse to support new tropical species. DID I MENTION CATS 26
get an apartment for me and my plants and my indoor greenhouse. SORTA BUT WITH MORE CATS 26

10 years. by age 31

see the pacific. plant shop there. Family and friends on the West coast, Buttering up in progress.
get a wheel. DONE BITCH. NOW TO USE IT. 26
build a kiln. looking into buying one from a rundown elementary school, you know for one of my many hobbies.
build a press. 
get a dog.
train that dog to be an awesome one. DO CATS COUNT?26
 build an awesome outdoor greenhouse. 

take Jacquelyn's little one on a trip. THERES THREE NOW good luck with this HAHAHA 26


SO this is how I thought life would look, and honestly a lot has changed, I have two cats, a live in boyfriend, three neices (!) and a new nephew who I adore. I do not draw, paint, scult, or throw enough anymore. I make two prints per year- coming from someone who used to bust out printmaking for 8-12 hours at a time, this actually makes me really sad. Overall I have learned that when you don't have a studio space, life is not kind to the arts. I have take nup a little digital photography and some REALLY REALLY basic photoshop skills, because I have access to a camera and my desktop has the software, but I miss the grand gestures and the big paintings and the heavy metals. cats and oil paint aren't best friends. I also really miss questing for knowledge, like we were out the other day and I couldn't remember the name of this portrait painter- I felt like everything I said I was dredging up from years of dust, and I feel like I haven't learned or looked at anything new in a long time, getting a case of the stale brain. 

No comments:

Post a Comment