Monday, January 17, 2011

Pests and New Growth

Mealy bugs have taken over mostly all of my sempervivums (the pointy ones in front below, pictured months ago when they were healthy).


Once I figured out that they were not in fact produced by the plant, I trawled the internet looking for home remedies.

Result:
Rubbing Alcohol/ dish soap.

I applied with a brush and torched those suckers. I obviously didn't get them all because a few have begun reappearing which tells me I need to get a bottle and go to again. They nest in between the stalk and leaves and like for all the world like miniature tent caterpillars; fluffy white cocoons putting spots on the leaf surfaces of the plants.

All I can say about their ecological standing is that they have no natural enemies my ass. They attacked my baby hens and chicks and they are SO screwed. Found them on my infant jades this morning as well making white residue all over them and chilling in the cracks between their stems and leaves. I may have to give every plant the once over.

The lithops are dividing well, some having twins most having just one "baby". Lithops Karasmontana is all tall and spry and leggy and I can't seem to get it enough sun even though it sits in it all day. The one pictured is a lithops dorothae that was planted as an adult back in September. each photo is around a month or so apart. This is generally how these plants grow, close to the ground sprouting leaves from the middle.









My hawarthia retusa is putting out babies which is nice to see.

My African violets that are pains in the asses and won't flower even though it's been a year since they stopped...one has a bloom. a single sickly looking purple flower. This identifies her as Yolanda. I stuck a jobe stick in there over break and voila, a few weeks later one bloom.



The white one still churns out flowers like it's its job.

No comments:

Post a Comment